Monday, November 17, 2008

The perils of going green

In an effort to improve myself and the thickness of my wallet, I have taken to riding a bicycle to school and work. It's not a terrible commute, it takes about an hour and a half to get to school on my bike, and about an hour to drive. Unfortunately, the pronounced and profound idiocy of the world's drivers may necessitate a rethinking my commuting options.

Last week, on my way to school, a school bus was parked in the bike lane dropping off students. No big deal; I slowed down, so as not to run over any kindergartners, went on the sidewalk, and continued on my merry way. About 5 minutes later, a silver-haired gentleman in a gold Toyota slowed down to yell out his passenger window how awful it was that I passed that bus on the right, and how ashamed of myself I ought to be.

[sigh]

As a former bus driver, let me be the first to say, that if you, silver-haired gentleman, had tried that swing-onto-the-sidewalk-to-pass-the-stopped-bus stunt in your gold Toyota, it would have been very illegal, and you should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I however, was not in a gold Toyota, I was on a freaking bicycle you moron, and as such, that particular rule does not apply.

Leave the policing ... to the police. Don't stick your head where it doesn't belong, and for the love of all that is holy, don't pull along side a kid on a bicycle to spew your pent up vitriol because you didn't get to be hall monitor in grade school.

Tonight, on my way home from school, 3 idiot teenagers drove past and one of them screamed out right as they passed me. They stopped at the light just long enough for me to catch up. I asked why they thought that was funny, one of them called me a faggot (because that's the most clever thing he could come up with) and the driver took off... after one of them tried to spit on me. Excuse me!? Spitting on someone is assault, just ask Naomi Campbell.

...

Words escape me, which is not something that happens often. Thank you, gentlemen, for proving yet again why the entire civilized world looks at us and says "Stupid Americans." You'll have to forgive me for not subscribing to your particular brand of stupid, but I still have brain cells that I value.

I'll still keep riding my bike, maybe this time with a keener eye for the stupider segment of humanity.

It would be a big help if they wore signs to let me know they were coming.


Here's your sign.

4 comments:

Natalie said...

I can't believe they tried spitting on you!! (That is worthy of a kicked out taillight)-- I might try it but I think I would just fall off my bike :0)

Andrea Gunnell said...

Okay, I was laughing so hard about the "silver-haired gentleman." I love it! You need to write more!

Unknown said...

Well, what an interesting website, one that I'll always be curious to see what's next. I'm glad you have a place to let it all out where you don't have to make any apologies.

Unknown said...

Ok, never mind, not sure why I had such a hard time getting to the website - totally can't from the link. Anyway, sorry, the address is right, just not the same as the name. Trying to not look stupid here, making things worse, blahblahblah.